Since learning more about dandelions, their health benefits, and their culinary uses, we’ve been trying them out in a few recipes. The cold snap finally broke here in Toronto, and the three of us went back to the yard and happily picked some greens to use in our dinner.
I improvised this right on the spot, so add to that the fact that I’m not much of a measurer in the kitchen, and you got yourself a completely guesstimated recipe! I guess that means there’s lots of room for experimenting? That’s what I’m telling myself, anyways 😉
But I can tell you what’s in this awesomely simple and tasty dish; fresh-picked dandelion greens, frozen chopped spinach, mushrooms, and cashews, with a splash of soy sauce. We had it with some brown rice, a salad, and steamed broccoli…Mmmm, my mouth is watering as I type this…
I love the combination of the soft, wilted greens and the subtle crunch of the cashews. And the soy sauce gives it just the right amount of flavor, without taking away from the naturally tasty greens – a little really goes a long way.
This recipe was part of a series on cooking with dandelions, view other recipes in this series here: Dandelions: Friend or Foe (With Recipes!)
|Dandelion Greens & Spinach Stir-Fry|
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, slightly thawed
- 3-4 cups dandelion greens, chopped into 2″ pieces
- 2 medium brown (or white) mushrooms
- 1/3 cup cashews, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- organic soy sauce, to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook until it breaks apart easily, about 4-5 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until slightly soft, about 1 min.
- Add the dandelion greens and cook until wilted, about 6-7 mins.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and a splash of soy sauce, to taste.
- Add the cashews and stir until mixed through.
- Layer onto a bed of brown rice.
This post was shared here: My Meatless Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Foodie Friday,
Leave a Reply